Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The 40 Day Book of Mormon Challenge



This year I have suffered from the bah humbug illness. I've been neglecting my Christmas decorating and shopping and cooking. I know it's only December 2nd, but time goes by so quickly lately. The other morning I rolled out of bed and told Brandon, "you are in charge of Christmas." As late as yesterday afternoon I wanted nothing to do with it. Don't get me wrong I was excited to celebrate our Savior's life and birth, but I was having trouble figuring out just how to do that.

Well I happened upon a website that gave a great suggestion. It was to read the Book of Mormon in 40 days. So I committed to it, yesterday I read 1 Nephi 1-10. Wow, what an incredible read it was. I know it's only been a day, but guess what? This morning I woke up, remembered to say my morning prayers, hummed a quick hymn and wham...I thought, "hey I think I'll put up the Christmas stuff today."

So I pulled down boxes, set up trees, chased down 4 year olds with breakable ornaments and loving set up baby Jesus and his manger (my favorite decoration). In the midst of that I made a killer Taco Soup (recipe and pix to follow tomorrow, can't post pics from the laptop), created homemade corn bread, and baked a million dozen chocolate chip cookies. I shopped for the YW's activity tonight and refereed a playdate for Anna. WOW.

That is more than I have accomplished in one day in quite a long time. And to what do I attribute those super human powers? You guessed it; 1 Nephi 1-10.

My tree is decorated and lit, the stockings are hung on the banister with care, the soups in the freezer for another meal to come, and I'm about to read 1 Nephi 11-15 by the glowing lights of my Christmas tree.

Today I've come full circle. I added light to my house in many different forms. I added the light of Christ through my scripture study and prayer (sad to say but I've not done too great lately), I added the lights on the Christmas tree and because of all I accomplished today, tomorrow will be lighter.

So want to join me in this enlightening pursuit? Go Here.


4 comments:

Melissa said...

OK Liz... your post made me a believer... well I hope I was one before, but it certainly reminded me of the power of the scriptures and so I am going to commit along with you! Thanks for your example and your sweet friendship... love you!

Miranda said...

I love it. I need a day to really commit. Congratulations on finding the Christmas Spirit in Christ! Weird, huh?

Laura Lynn said...

That's awesome Liz! I just usually shoot to finish the BOM in 6 months beginning from Conference to the next Conference. I should try this!

Melissa said...

okay... I have switched to the 80 day plan... but still count me in!