Wednesday, October 27, 2010

La, lalalal La laaaaaa....and the diploma goes to....


ME!!!!

That's right folks...after eight LONG years (11 if you count my original start date) I have finished by Bachelor's degree from BYU! I'm sure that I could pretty much be a brain surgeon by now. Hhmph...a little depressing, but overall incredibly SATISFYING.
I've spoken with friends and family about this accomplishment and the fact that I won't walk in BYU's graduation. How do I feel about that? Well, how would you feel about it? Seriously, I've gone back and forth, but I've come to the following conclusion...Here are the reasons I would want to walk next Spring
1. An 8.5 year old toeheaded amazing 3rd grader who's helpful, loving and kind.
2. A newly 5 year old with Fall-kissed auburn hair who's energetic, lively and incredibly loving.
3. A 19 month old stawberry blonde who's favorite activity is chasing down unsuspecting "babies" everywhere she goes.
4. A 30 something old, dirty blonde headed man who's been there for the bitter and the sweet, who has dried my tears and convinced me to look at the eternal perspective when finishing this degree felt impossible
5. An almost 30 year old (scary!) who's literally labored for 8 long years while trying to be the best mom and wife possible. A terrible housekeeper, and awful organizer, but a determined mama.

As I constructed these thoughts in my mind it occurred to me that the top 5 reasons I would like to walk in BYU's ceremony are sitting in my livingroom every single night. So, I've decided to walk....at HOME....That's right, I'm staging my own graduation, with cap and gown (hat and robe) and diploma (whenever it arrives by mail), commencement speech and even refreshments to follow.

I'm sure I'll tear up during my speech, and I'm sure my kids will be as restless as they would be at a real graduation commencement. My husband will snap pictures and take video and I'll cry some more. And then I'll cry even harder as I realize that the degree in my hand is nothing compared to the 4 people sitting restlessly on the couch.

So what's next? Well....hm....that's what I'm wondering. I have a list 8 years long (seriously) and so it's off to start on it. Organizing, entertaining, teaching little ones to read, go pee pee in the potty and read some darn amazing books....(I've started one such book, "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society")

Just for fun: I'm curious.....what would you do with this bucket. The picture sums up the last 8 years of my life and I'm not sure what I should do with it. I don't want to burn it (I would have probably like 5 weeks ago), I'm not a scrapbooker, and I don't want it to be just another box in the mound of rubber tubs. Ideas and suggestions are greatly appreciated.










7 comments:

Kate said...

congrats! seriously, you are awesome. can we come to your graduation? i'll take the video and the pictures, AND make refreshments:) -k, e, and a.

Carrie said...

I am SO proud of you. You are so amazing and that is a huge accomplishment. Congratulations.


I was tearing up a bit for you just reading your post.

Emily Crowe said...

Love the new blog look! I'm so excited for you. What an amazing accomplishment! no advice on the tub of paperwork. I've 2 similar tubs full of school stuff. I have no idea what to do with it but can't seem to part with it either.

Melissa said...

woohooo!!!

Perhaps you should celebrate with a trip to DC for Thanksgiving!!! ...just a thought.

We love you and are so proud of this awesome accomplishment... WOW! You did it!!!

Francom Family said...

YEAH!!! I am so happy and proud of you and I even remember starting the journey from the very beginning with you (11 years ago). When you discover what to do with all that stuff let me know so I can do the same. Great idea with the ceremony. Congrats!

Miranda said...

WOW! Yippee! Congratulations! I blurred up just reading about your commencement exercises! Pomp and Circumstance gets me every time.

You could use those pages to decoupage a desk? Choose some of your favorites and modge podge them on! Then you preserve some of the work, and don't feel bad tossing the rest:)

Christina said...

Liz you are awesome!!! Congratulations. It is such an accomplishment but you are right the bigger accomplishment is your family! Nothing better then showing your children that they can reach their dreams! Way to be an awesome example!!!